Protect Your Rights with Class Action Lawyers Chicago
Whether your business has been the target of a class-action lawsuit or you’re interested in filing one against another entity, Sullivan Royko’s class action lawyers in Chicago are on your side.
Experienced Chicago Class Action Lawyers
Through a class-action lawsuit, a group of individuals or entities who have suffered similar harm due to the actions or negligence of a company can come together to pursue legal action.
According to a recent report from Cornerstone Research, an economic consulting firm, plaintiffs filed about 334 securities class-action cases in federal and state courts in 2020. There were 68 class or collective COVID-19 related employment complaints filed in federal and state courts during the same year.
A class-action lawsuit allows a group of harmed people to come together and appoint a representative who will bring the legal action against the negligent party or defendant on behalf of others. Class action cases can occur in different industries.
When the case settles, the judge may approve a settlement amount and the compensation paid to the attorney. Depending on the outcome of the case, individual class members still choose to accept the settlement benefits or “opt-out” of the settlement to pursue their legal claims individually.
At Sullivan Royko law firm, we are dedicated to providing comprehensive legal guidance and vigorous representation to plaintiffs in class action lawsuits involving consumer fraud, employment, unpaid pensions, personal injury, and product liability matters. Also, we assist business owners and corporations throughout Chicago in defense of class actions brought against their business.
Our experienced Chicago class action attorneys will review your unique situation, explore your possible legal options to pursue damages or defend your organization, and represent you in every phase of the legal process. The knowledgeable attorneys at our law firm have extensive experience in class action cases representing both plaintiffs and defendants in a wide range of industries.
Whether you’re looking to bring a class-action suit against a company or defend a class complaint brought against your organization, our experienced Chicago business lawyers at Sullivan Royko will fight diligently to protect your rights.
We’re proud to serve clients throughout Chicago, Illinois, and surrounding areas. Book a free initial consultation with our expert Chicago Corporate Law Attorneys by giving us a call or submitting our contact form to help you get justice.
Working with Chicago IL Class Counsel
If you have been injured or suffered adverse effects in a way that others have also experienced, you may be looking to file a class complaint. You must discuss your potential claim with an experienced Chicago class action attorney in these situations.
Our attorneys at Sullivan Royko are available to discuss your situation and determine the best course of action. Even if your business has been the target of a class-action lawsuit, we can help protect your business and resolve such matters through a timely and cost-saving settlement. Contact our law office for a free consultation.
What Is a Class Action Lawsuit?
A class action, also referred to as class suit or representative action, can be described as a procedural device that permits one or more plaintiffs to file and prosecute a lawsuit against a negligent party or defendant on behalf of the injured parties or a larger group of people. Through class-action suits, the court can better manage lawsuits filed collectively by individuals who suffered similar harm rather than individually.
Process for Filing a Class Action in Illinois
A class-action lawsuit starts when one or multiple plaintiffs file a claim against a negligent party or defendant on behalf of a proposed class. The proposed class must have suffered a similar injury or damages.
Upon filing the complaint, the named plaintiff(s) must file a motion for class certification. A proposed class will only be certified if it meets the following requirements:
- The class is so large that individual suits are impractical.
- The plaintiffs have a similar legal or factual claim.
- The claims or defenses are typical of the plaintiffs or defendants.
- The representative parties can protect the interests of the class sufficiently.
Class Action Attorneys
If you and a group of people have been injured, suffered damages, or a monetary loss as a result of an organization’s activities, you can come together to file class-action lawsuits or mass torts (civil actions involving several plaintiffs pursuing similar claims against a defendant) collectively to seek fair compensation for your injuries and damages.
False advertising, a dangerous or defective product, and violation of fair debt collection practices are all common types of class action cases. Our Chicago class action attorneys explain more about these below.
How Do I Choose an Illinois Class Action Lawyer?
Filing and dealing with a class-action lawsuit can be tiring and more complex. However, with the help of an experienced consumer protection lawyer, things can become more manageable. Various law offices claim to serve you with expert attorneys, but you have to carefully check their practice areas and work profiles.
Here is what you should notice while choosing an attorney.
- Their experience and expertise in class action cases.
- Their practice areas and experience with appropriate jurisdiction.
- How they maintain the client-attorney relationship.
- How responsive they are and what & how they charge for a case.
If you want to seek legal advice regarding a class action case, the best option is to consult with our experienced attorneys at Sullivan Royko. Call us or submit our contact form for a free consultation, and we will suggest the best solution.
Common Reasons for Class Action Lawsuits
Some common reasons to file class-action lawsuits include:
- Financial crimes against consumers – Crimes such as securities and investment fraud, including pyramid schemes, Ponzi schemes, and market manipulation fraud.
- Defective products – product defects that create a significant risk of injury to consumers.
- A dangerous drug or health product – A drug or product that gives consumers the false impression of safety and security according to its advertisements, labeling, or other forms of communication.
- Employment actions – employment discrimination, minimum wage, and overtime violations, failure to pay wages, retaliation against whistleblowers, illegal employment testing or exams, illegal termination, sexual and workplace harassment
- Environmental lawsuits – involving some environmental lawsuits like water and air pollution, toxic chemicals or hazardous wastes, and other environmental hazards.
- Civil rights violations involve violations like deprivation of due process, rights of privacy and access to the courts, interference with voting rights, unreasonable searches and seizures, cruel and unusual punishment, racial profiling, or abuse by a public official.
If you live in Illinois and are involved in one of the above-listed lawsuits, our Chicago class action lawyers can help. Sullivan & Royko can provide you with the legal guidance and representation you need.
Class Action Lawsuit Cases
Class actions are governed by the Federal Rules of Civil Procedure Rule 23 and 28 U.S.C.A. Section 1332 (d).
According to the class actions law, a class action lawsuit may be filed in federal court if the claim arises under federal law or if the amount in controversy exceeds $5,000,000 and meets one of the following conditions:
- Any member of a class of plaintiffs is a citizen of a State different from any defendant.
- Any member of a class of plaintiffs is a foreign state or a citizen or subject of a foreign state, and any defendant is a citizen of a State.
- Any member of a class of plaintiffs is a citizen of a State, and any defendant is a foreign state or a citizen or subject of a foreign state.
Class Action Law Firms
Every year, millions of individuals are injured by the negligent or fraudulent actions of corporations. Sullivan Royko, one of the topmost class action law offices in Chicago, has the reach, drive, resources, and experience to communicate efficiently with clients, help navigate the complex legal issues of class actions, and help you seek justice. Working with a class-action lawyer in a reputable law firm like Sullivan Royko will ensure that your rights are well-protected.
Experienced Class Action Attorneys in Chicago, Illinois
If you’re interested in filing a class-action lawsuit against another corporation or if your business has been the target of class actions, contact Sullivan Royko today to schedule a free case evaluation fill. Our attorneys represent and provide legal advice to both plaintiffs and defendants and have a vast list of practice areas in a wide range of industries, including consumer protection. Our team can offer you the experienced guidance and vigorous legal representation you need in your case. We are proud to serve clients in Chicago, IL, and the surrounding communities throughout Illinois.